I was sitting having a drink with my oldest friend laughing about the first time we got drunk …while you were getting married.
You were in the same grade us yet you were getting your hair curled into one of those awful wedding hairdos while we were watching the sunset over the JHB skyline.
You were saying ‘I do’ while we were laughing at the girl screaming for help because she got locked in the bathroom.
Fast forward two weeks and my Facebook page has been flooded with engagement rings, wedding pictures, pregnant bellies and babies still covered in afterbirth (yeah that one really happened). Is everyone having kids, settling down and doing grownup things?
I don’t have anything against any of this really I just don’t understand how people I grew up with are …you know… ‘doing it’. How did the girl who used to pride herself on having the loudest burps in my class get married…how did the guy who refused to call women anything except ‘bitches’ have a baby girl.
Holy responsibility! Does this mean we are adults now? Just the other day I was racing home to watch Pete and Pete followed by a Lizzie McGuire omnibus wishing I could get my hair just like hers. Suddenly I seem like the odd one out for having zero interest in squeezing out a child or planning a perfectly tacky wedding, chicken dance and all…although that is quite fun to do. I’m not even phased anymore when I log into Facebook and there is the guy who used to be able to take shots of whiskey through his eye holding his new-born’s umbilical cord between his teeth. In fact if I don’t get my daily dose of baby updates from people that I never actually speak to, I start getting broody.
Did I miss the ‘everyone’s doing it’ convention while I was dancing to Blink ‘What’s My Age Again’ thinking that this actually relates to me now because I am 23.
And that’s about the time that bitch hung up on me
Nobody likes you when your 23
And are still more amused by prank phone calls
What the hell is caller ID?
My friends say I should act my age
What’s my age again?
What’s my age again?
So a whole lot of people replied to my post this morning with their lists. I thought it would be interesting to ask my mom to do one. And here it is! Love it.
- I never made a mistake by marrying at 19.
- My children don’t think I am un-cool.
- If I had more money than was good for me I would travel.
- I am definitely a better cook than some on Master Chef SA 2012.
- I can still set a goal and achieve it.
- Everyone should appreciate and treasure their parent’s every day, as they can pass unexpectedly.
- I would never be able to do without dessert.
- Life is too short to hold grudges.
- I was anal retentive in my earlier years.
- No child is the same.
- There is a God and Angels and they will help if asked.
- Friendship can be found later in life.
- You don’t have to be “old” because your age says so.
- Everyone should speak their truth.
- If I had my life over, I would not change a thing.
- There is life after 50!
- I want to live to see my Grandchildren.
- Everything in life is a lesson…learn from it.
- Scrapbooking is for old age!
- Parents are not always right.
- Life is definitely like a box of chocolates…each day is different.
- No regrets about being a strict parent.
- University for me was but a dream but never stopped me achieving elsewhere.
- A smile costs nothing.
- If there is 1 hair in a restaurant kitchen it always makes it onto my plate.
- A marriage of 36 years is a blessing.
- I still cannot sit down easily and relax always have to be on the go.
- I love my children equally.
- I have an abrupt manner and those who care to know me know I have always been the same.
- Cannot stand a dirty and untidy kitchen.
- Marriage is like a job you have to work at it every day of your life.
- My heartbreaks when I see my children hurting.
- I definitely am a cyber idiot.
- Between 5 and 5.30 am is the best part of the day.
- I hate the radio on in the morning!
- Death does not have to be a sad affair.
- Everyone should try to live a charitable life.
- Your rubbish is someone else’s treasure.
- I love the sun and the water.
- Trust and honesty is something few and far between in people these days.
- One has to have routine and discipline in one’s life.
- Who says animals don’t have souls.
- I love horror movies have since I was small.
- Family is everything without family you have nothing.
- That your family will never give ideas for dinner.
- Money does definitely not grow on trees.
- We have to start looking after mother Earth, just now we will have nothing.
- I can overcome the fear of disease.
- We should not judge anyone yet we do.
- Time is going by at a very fast rate.
- I have witnessed man walking on the moon,1st computer, 1st cellular phone, 1st Television, Beatles, Elvis Presley, Tina Turner, Tsunami, War, Terrorism to name a few.
- I have given my children a good education.
- I make the best scones cream and homemade jam.
- Happiness is what you make of life.
- I am not afraid to die.
- This list is the hardest thing I have had to do in a long while.
I think the main think I have learnt in life is to learn. Every day we all learn and to stop learning would mean I…you…have stopped living. Every day is a learning curve, even in the little things. Just last night I learnt not to ever eat miniature hot dogs at a cocktail function.
Here is a list of 22 things I know at 22, I plan to do it every year to see just how much I’ve learnt.
- Although it feels like it will heartbreak won’t kill you
- It is not the situation you are in that shows what type of person you are, rather how you handle the situation
- Anger is a useless emotion
- Whose Line is it Anyway never gets old
- Caring about others more than yourself will get you nowhere
- As a teenager parents know nothing but as you grow older you learn to relate, I think my mom should write a list like this
- More than anything I would love to be a mother…someday NOT now, a few years ago you wouldn’t have caught me saying that
- People get married for the wrong reasons
- Sometimes a lie protects, sometimes it destroys
- By 22 you know the friends who will always be there
- There is no such thing as objective
- I still enjoy romantic teen comedies and I’m not sure it will ever change
- No matter what my dad will always protect me
- Never betray a friend for a man, friends are forever men are passing whims
- Travelling alone is the best way to travel
- Asia is my true home
- Kindness is the greatest gift you can give someone
- God exists, even if it’s just in my heart
- No one has room to judge anyone else
- The world will get itself together
- Routine is king
22.I am 22, my whole life is ahead of me, and it will all be alright